"Shortcut" by Jane DeDecker
Tour of Loveland’s Public Art
This is a tour of Loveland’s extensive display of public art, among the largest collection in the United States. The tour starts by I-25 at the Loveland Visitor’s Center where we will walk around the pond. The next stop is at Lake Loveland’s south shore where there are signature pieces for the city. The tour continues at the Benson Sculpture Garden which holds the largest concentration of art in Loveland. A dozen selected pieces will be included in the tour. Lunch (on your own) in downtown Loveland is followed by a walking tour of several studios and galleries. The tour ends with a fine collection of sculptures at the Municipal Park.
Convict cabins on Fall River Road.
The Fall River Lodge site is on the south side of the Fall River Road near the Lawn Lake trailhead. It was built in 1915 by Dan and Minnie Marsh starting as a single cabin and growing to a three-story lodge with 13 cabins.
The Convict Cabins site is located along the Fall River Road past the Roaring River Alluvial Fan. It was used during the initial construction of the Fall River Road. The site includes a powder magazine and the remains of four cabins.
This tour requires several short hikes for a total distance of about a mile. It starts at the site of the Fall River Lodge and continues with a stop at the convict cabins along the Fall River Road. Above Horseshoe Park, there will be a stop for a hike down to the Ashton homestead site in Little Horseshoe Park. The tour continues past Deer Ridge Junction to a stop at the Hupp homestead and graves. At the end of the Upper Beaver Meadows Road, a stop will be made with a hike to the Hondius ranch house site and the diversion structure. The tour ends in Moraine Park with a walk over to the site of the complex of building for Sprague’s Resort.
The once busy town of Manhattan has vanished. Only a lush meadow, the foundation of the dance hall, the remains of a springhouse and some bits of wood and glass are all that mark the site. We will walk over to the foundation for the dance hall and also to the spring house.
This tour starts at Livermore for a look at the old hotel and post office (not open to the public). We continue west on the Red Feather Lakes road and past the site of the town of Adams and its cemetery. We will make a brief stop at the Batterson barn and homestead that were recently added to the National Register. A short stop will be made at the ghost town of Log Cabin and its historic marker. The tour includes a stop for lunch (on your own) in Red Feather Lakes before continuing to the ghost town of Manhattan. A stop will be made at the Manhattan Cemetery about a mile below the town site. We drop down to the Poudre Canyon and visit the site of Poudre City. This is the last stop.
The tour made a brief stops at the Livermore Hotel and former post office.
Log Cabin was the site of a large hotel and several guest cabins. Stanley Steamers would make it to Log Cabin where passengers would change to horse-drawn carriages for the trip down Pingree Hill to Rustic. A brief stop will be made at the historic marker.
By 1900, nearby Manhattan was losing population. Willis Miller had a 160-acre homestead he called Elkhorn. In 1900, the Manhattan post office was moved to Miller’s store and renamed Elkhorn. It remained open until 1917. The old log store remains at the site.
This 1901 stone schoolhouse is on the National Register. The stone structure replaced an earlier frame schoolhouse, and the original wooden outhouses behind the building remain.
Forrest Jones Shack
The Forrest Jones shack is a typical miner’s home and is located in what was the central part of Sunshine. It is not open to the public, but can be viewed from the county road without trespassing.
Home of miner Forest Jones.
Wall Street assay house - a museum operated by Boulder County.
Salina and its schoolhouse were important to the region as a mining and mill center. The town was located along the narrow gauge Colorado & Northwestern. Volunteers now operate the historic schoolhouse.
This was the first mountain mining town in Colorado and predates the formation of Colorado Territory. There are three buildings in this town on the National Register of Historic Places. It is an occupied town and its structures are well preserved.
Wall Street was home of the Gold Extraction and Mining Company. The assay house and mine office building is now a mining museum. The enormous foundation of the mill is just beyond the assay house and is quite impressive.
Sunset was an important railroad town where the two main branches of the Colorado & Northwestern split – one to Eldora and one to Ward. The two grades can be seen on opposite walls of the canyon.
Kenneth Jessen Tours Interested? Contact Kenneth Jessen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Boulder County Ghost Town Tour
From Boulder, we travel up Boulder Canyon to Fourmile Canyon and continue through Salina with a stop at the Wall Street Mining Museum. We visit Sunset then back to Salina for some history at the schoolhouse. We go up Gold Run past Summerville to Gold Hill were we will have lunch (on your own) at the historic Gold Hill Store. We take a walking tour of Gold Hill and end at their small museum. Then the tour continues down the Sunshine Canyon Road to the Sunshine schoolhouse then Sunshine itself. Our last stop is the Sunshine Cemetery.
Interested in these and other tours? Contact me at